Wednesday, May 7, 2008

1% challenge

Of course, we start off with the relevant disclaimers about how this list is entirely arbitrary, etc. etc. (I'm actually quite peeved that science fiction is almost entirely left off the list.) And I have no intention of reading everything on the list before I die! But surely I can read a few more...

Be all that as it may, I'm pleased to say that I've already read just over 10% of the list, and, having learned of the 1% Challenge, will, of course, be undertaking it! Taking my cue from C.B. James, I'm going to connect what some of what I choose for this challenge with the letters I have yet to fill in my A-Z Challenge. Some others will just be books I've been meaning to read. As I read the books, I'll like them here to my post. So, here are my picks:

1) one of the 10 books on the list by J.M. Coetzee
2) Out of Africa by Isak Dineson
3) one of the 7 books on the list by D.H. Lawrence (probably Lady Chatterly's Lover)
4) one of the 3 books on the list by John Le Carre
5) Love in a Cold Climate and/or The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford
6) Zeno's Conscience by Italo Svevo
7) The Story of Lucy Gault by William Trevor
8) Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne
9) Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
10) Nana by Emile Zola

3 comments:

1morechapter said...

Great way to combine the challenges!

Michelle
1morechapter.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for the link here.

I recommend something short when you get to Zola. He can be tough going at times.

I also prefer Sons and Lovers to Lady Chatterly myself.

Disgrace, by Coetze is fantastic!

mmz said...

thanks for the recommendations. i expect i'll take your advice when the time comes.