Tuesday, August 25, 2009

no tension at all

Apex Hides the Hurt by Colson Whitehead
Rating: 2 stars (out of 5)
Genre: fiction
Review: I found this book oddly lacking in tension. Not all books have to have tension, but I got the feeling that this book was supposed to. The main character (whose name we never learn) is supposed to decide between two factions in a small town that have different ideas about how or whether to rename the town. The tension between these two opposing parties should be at the heart of this book, but I just couldn't bring myself to care (possibly because the alternative to the town's current name is just silly). The lack of tension is especially ironic when you consider the name of the town that the main character finally decides on, which I think is supposed to summarize the overall theme of the book: Struggle.

No comments: