Thursday, April 27, 2017

writing about reading

My Life with Bob: Flawed Heroine Keeps Book of Books, Plot Ensues by Pamela Paul
Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)
Genre: memoir
Review: Dear Pamela Paul,
Please come and live with me and be my literary big sister.
I am,
Yours devotedly in reading.

No, for real.  Every reader must read this book.  Pamela's descriptions of the joys (and sorrows) of reading are beautiful.  She is exquisitely thoughtful in connecting the books she records in Bob (her Book of Books, in which she lists everything she's read since age 17) to her life, or to her reflections of the life she was living at the time she read a particular book.  She also discusses many of her travels, giving them equally thoughtful and literary treatment.  Seriously, this is the book about reading that I wish I could have written.

FTC Dsiclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: