Thursday, September 7, 2017

no hook

Start Without Me by Joshua Max Feldman
Rating: 2.5 stars (out of 5)
Genre: fiction
Review: Adam is nine months sober and still fighting for every day of it.  He's attempting his first family event in a long time, and it doesn't go well.  Flight attendant Marissa is the daughter of an alcoholic, and struggling with her own life choices, both good and bad.  She's attempting her husband's family gathering for Thanksgiving, and it doesn't go well either.  And there you have pretty much the entire story.  I found the characters to be lightly drawn on the page, and neither drew me in much at all.  I found the conflicts to be contrived and over-dramatic, and couldn't really bring myself to care how they got resolved, or what choices the characters made.  The book does zip along, and isn't poorly written, but it does lack that je ne sais quoi that engages me as a reader.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: