Sunday, October 6, 2019

like velvet

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett
Genre: historical fiction
Rating: 5 stars (out of 5)
Review: Before I got more than a page or two into this book, I said to myself, Wow, this is going to be a good book!  Myself replied, Of course it is, it's by Ann Patchett.  And indeed, this is one of Patchett's best books.  The biggest criticism I can level is that it's a little self-indulgent at times, but the characters leap off the page, and are so true to themselves, that any self-indulgence was just a natural part of the progression of the story.  I could go on and on about the language and the descriptions and everything else.  I could even make a bad metaphor about how picking up this book was like rubbing velvet: it just felt perfect.  But I won't.  If you like Ann Patchett, you've already read this book.  If you've never been introduced to her, this one is a great one to start with.

Actually, my biggest criticism of this book is the cover.  I hate the cover.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: