Tuesday, October 15, 2019

unclear

Trinity Sight by Jennifer Givhan
Rating: 3 stars (out of 5)
Genre: apocalyptic fiction
Review: What happens when Pueblo and Zuni myths meet The Stand (and a little bit of Outlander)?  You get Trinity Sight, where there's been some kind of cataclysmic event and suddenly almost all the people are gone.  Some of those who remain band together and try to make their way to safety, where, hopefully, they will also find their lost families.  What do these survivors have in common, so that they stuck around?  Unclear.  What happened to cause the upheaval?  Unclear.

Maybe it's just me, but overall this whole book was just very unclear.  By the end, I felt like I had a sense of what was going on, but I never felt like I had a clear picture.  Likewise, many of the characters felt hazy.  Perhaps this is appropriate for a book that is based in myths, but it makes reading somewhat challenging.  A little more clarity would have gone a long way toward helping me to understand what Givhan's ultimate message is.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: