Friday, January 14, 2022

beyond the wall

Gallant by V. E. Schwab
Rating: 4 stars (out of 5)
Genre: fantasy
Review: Olivia knows her mother only through her journal and longs to escape her life at the orphanage where everything seems to exist in shades of grey and ghouls that only she can see lurk in the corners and under the beds.  When a letter from her uncle arrives at the orphanage and promises her a home and family, she leaps at the chance.  But her mother's journal has warned her to stay away from Gallant, the family home.  And maybe her mother was right that not having a family is better than what she'll face on the other side of the wall.

I confess that I hadn't read anything by Victoria (V. E.) Schwab until The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue, and I confess that I only picked up Gallant because I loved Addie LaRue so much.  I knew that Addie LaRue differed from her other work, but I was curious.  And I was not disappointed.  Although it seems that Schwab has returned to something closer to her previous brand, her writing is just as lovely as it was in Addie LaRue, and the story is just as compelling.

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher in exchange for this review.

No comments: